Wednesday, February 4, 2015

WIP Wednesday #1 - Sea of Squares

I'm working on another Sea of Squares quilt. It's an older QAL by Christa Quilts. I made this quilt last December as a gift for my MIL. It was a quick finish and this is the only picture I took before giving it away.


I modified the pattern slightly by adding an extra column and an extra row because, well... I had the fabric and I'm of the bigger = better mentality. The quilting was minimal. I straight-line quilted just a quarter-inch inside every block. The minimal quilting and super soft fabric made for such a smushy, comfy quilt that I hated giving this one away. So, The only solution was to make another one for myself. This time I'm using some long-hoarded charm packs of Sphere by Brigitte Heitland.




I've got my charm squares all sorted into my "X" blocks and "O" blocks. That really is the hardest part of this quilt pattern.


I also cut my "X" blocks and "O" blocks accordingly. 


As long as I can keep them all in order; with some chain piecing, this baby will be pieced into a top in no time. 

Also, linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday.

- Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Great pattern and even greater fabric! I love Zen Chic's fabric lines, and Sphere is one of the best! Have fun - joining you from WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I would love to have all of Zen Chic's lines.

      Delete
  2. I think that pattern will look stunning with those fabrics, the colours are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see how it looks after I sew up all the blocks. Pictures will definitely follow.

      Delete
  3. Sphere will be really nice for this quilt. I have a bit I'm hoarding too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had bought some FQ's or yardage so I could hoard that too, lol.

      Delete