Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tip: Keep Your Pins Sharp!

Late Night Quilter has started hosting a weekly linky party called Tips and Tutorials Tuesday. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to share this pincushion I made last week.
I used this tutorial from Modern Handcraft. Let me tell you, it was quick and easy! The tutorial recommends using a Sizzix machine for cutting the hexies but since I don't have one, I just cut mine the old-fashioned way - with a ruler and a rotary cutter. Also, instead of using fabric for the background square I used more felt. That may not have been the best idea as the background square shrunk 1/8" in each direction after sewing down the hexies. It all worked out though. 

Now for the tip! Did you know that steel wool/stainless steel wire scourers will help keep your pins sharp?!
I like to shove some in my pincushions to keep my pins sharp as sharp can be. No more dull pins that leave big holes in your fabric! You should be able to find some steel wool in the cleaning products aisle at your grocery store. 

Linking up to Late Night Quilter!

New Blogger Series

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I did not know that! I will have to add it to my next pin cushion! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never make a pincushion again without including the steel wool!! I'm a sucker for utilitarian sewing tips. Thank you, Sarah, for linking up to Tips and Tutorials Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete