Friday, March 11, 2016

Urban Jungle Looking Glass - A Quilt Top Finish

I don't know how this keeps happening. I think I'm keeping up with blogging and then WHAM! A whole month goes by and I haven't posted a thing. Well, okay... I do know how it happens. Life gets busy, chores and "adulting" needs to happen, and blah blah blah. Also, I rarely do any blogging or sewing/crafting in the evenings and on weekends because I like to spend that time Mr.123quilt. Awwww.....

Okay, let's get to the real reason I'm posting today. I have a another flimsy finish to share!!!

approx. 54" x 64"

This is a fun pattern called Looking Glass by Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs. Does that name sound familiar? I blogged a few weeks ago about my finished top for her Midnight Mystery Quilt Along

(SIDE NOTE: This week Cheryl posted a parade of quilts from the QAL. Go check it out!)

I actually won this pattern in a giveaway back in 2014! It's always been on my to-do list (you know, the long-term one) but I just never found any fabric that I wanted to use in this pattern. Until a few weeks ago that is.


I was browsing around Tuesday Morning and found this great charm pack and I immediately thought of the Looking Glass pattern. I knew I had finally found the perfect fabric for the pattern. Also, $1.99 for a pack of 32 charms? Yes, please! Girl is on a budget!


The brand is Creative Cuts which is manufactured by Fabric Editions. I think this is the same manufacturer that provides the fabric for Target and maybe the roll-up fat quarters at Jo-Ann's. I had never used this brand before so I wasn't sure about the quality. But at that price I had to give it a go. Worst case scenario - I could sew it up as a charity quilt. Nope. That's not going to happen. As it turns out, I really love this quilt. Like all the hearty eyes and exploding heart emojis LOVE. Selfish Sarah strikes again. This one is mine. No relatives are going to snatch it. Mine, I tell you!


The fabrics give me a funky urban jungle vibe. Does anyone else get that? Normally I don't go for animal prints but I love that neon green leopard print. And the blue zebra print! Again with the hearty eyes. So, the biggest drawback to these charms was that they were all about 1/8" to 1/4" larger than a standard 5" charm square. I had to trim them all down. Bummer. That added a few extra hours to my total time.

This quilt was actually really fast to put together. I think it took about four days of slow, distracted sewing. If you hustled I think you could make this pattern in one day. Which is pretty cool. Great for beginners and experienced quilters who fun something quick and fun.

Until next time!
- Sarah

========

Linking up with:

Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Whoop Whoop Fridays At Confessions of a Fabric Addict
TGIFF at Dizzy Quilts
Fabric Frenzy Friday at Fort Worth Fabric Studio

8 comments:

  1. What a cute finish! I just love Cheryl's patterns and have made a couple of them. They are fast and easy, but create very effective designs. Thank you for linking up at TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better that the squares were too big than that they were too small! I think the prints are a great find. I love the colors! My favorite is the blue squiggly ladder on the white background. Thanks for sharing your experience with the pattern; it's definitely one I would want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so effective :) great finish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish. Love the colours and prints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mix of blues and greens with the all the different prints, perfect for Cheryl's pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version of Looking Glass, this is awesome!! The blues and greens are great. I can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My FAVOURITE colour combo (yes I yelled that in a happy dance way). Of all the "wiggle" quilt, Cheryl's (and your rendition) is the best. Um Target has FABRIC????? You got a great deal. Better too big than too small on the charms,just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabrics and colors in your Looking Glass quilt Sarah! Beautiful!
    I wish our local Target had fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete